ASA Structural Consultants ltd 

What is a Structural Engineer and what do they do?

A Structural Engineer provides the necessary calculations when required for building works. This ensures buildings and structures are safely built and adhere to Part A of the Building Regulations.

Structural Engineers ensure that  a structure is capable of ‘standing up’ and can withstand the pressures that the building is subjected to.


Do I need building regulations approval?

Generally speaking if you are putting up a new building or altering an existing structure, building regulations will be required. Building regulations approval can be achieved from your local authority or to a private approved inspector service. For more information on your responsibilities click here

A lot of our customers have have had positive experiences with the private building company Assent Building Control.


Do I need a Structural Engineer?

If you are modifying the structure of a building in any way, for example altering load-bearing walls or removing chimney breasts, you will need a Structural Engineer to complete the calculations for these works. We can also confirm in a letter that specific walls are or are not load bearing.

If new structural elements are being completed such as new roofs, floors or foundations then it is again critical that you employ a Structural Engineer.

Generally speaking-  most house extensions will require some sort of structural calculation as the existing external wall will be “opened up” to provide access to the new building/extension.


How much will the Structural Engineer cost?

To save you you money we work on a price per calculation basis, on our site visit we will agree with you the amount of calculation required. For example one beam plus its bearings will be one calculation. If you you have any drawing of your proposed project we can give you a rough estimate of how many calculations we think will be required, but due to the nature of the job we will not know how many calculations will be required until we have properly inspected your property. Once we have permission we will start the calculations.

For smaller scale projects to save the client money we will simply mark up an and existing drawing or produce a basic sketch. This is generally enough to to satisfy building control and your builder without paying for expensive drawings.


Once I’ve employed a Structural Engineer what happens then?

We will organise a suitable time to visit you and the property to discuss your project with you. We can discuss the various options you may have and suggest alternatives that may be more cost efficient and effective. Once we agree with the best solution, we will go away and produce the necessary calculations. The calculations generally take a week for smaller scale project but if you are particularly stuck for time we will try to meet your deadline.

Once we have completed our advice which includes the calculations and our sketches, you can ready for submit these to your builder (to complete your cost estimate/ tender) and to building control. In some cases building control will wish to check our design.


How long does it take to produce your calculations and drawings?

Generally for typical smaller domestic extension or refurbishment works, the Structural Engineer will require one week from the time they visit site to produce calculations and basic drawings. Obviously this can vary depending on the scale of the project.


Do I need ‘Full Plans’ Building regulations approval or can I do the works under a ‘Building Notice’?

There are two type of applications for Building Regulation approval:

  • A ‘Full Plans’ application

This typically takes longer to get approved (approximately 8 weeks) but when it is approved the Building Control Officer should not ask your builder to alter anything as long as they are building to the plans. This is normally the most relevant application for larger projects.

  • A ‘Building Notice’

This is submitted to the council 48 hours before the works are due to commence on site. The Building Control Officer has the right to alter anything they do not think is suitable when they inspect the building site during the works. This is the most common approach to applying for Building Control approval with small domestic works.


Do I need Planning permission?

We would recommend you seek the advice of your local council or your Architect.

Further information is also available here.


Our Services

We offer a variety of services to our clients including

Contact us

To arrange a consultation or call back, send us a message. Alternatively call us on 0330 822 0114